The Nevskiy Prospekt is the main thoroughfare of St. Petersburg that starts from the Admiralty Prospekt and ends at the Alexander Nevsky Square.
It is 4.5 km long and 25 - 60 meters wide. The part between the Square of Insurrection and the Alexander Nevsky Square is traditionally
called Old Nevsky Prospekt. The Moyka River (the Narodny Bridge), the Fontanka River
(the Anichkov Bridge), and the Griboedova Canal (the Kazansky Bridge) cross Nevsky Prospekt.
The Nevsky Prospekt appeared in 1710 as two roads in boggy forest leading from the Admiralty
and from the Alexander Nevsky Monastery to the Old Novgorod high road.
The part from the Admiralty to the present Square of Insurrection was known as a Big Prospect which was the main entrance to the city.
For the first time the Admiralty appeared in St. Petersburg in 1704. It was rebuilt several times but its basic design has never been changed.
Its present look was given to it in 1805-1811 by architect A. Zakharov. The Admiralty was used for ship-building until the 1860s. Now the Naval
Engineering College is in the building.
In the 1730s the road was called the Neva Prospect. In the 1760s a single thoroughfare was formed, which from
the end of the 1700s, acquired the present name of Nevsky Prospekt.
The Fountain river was the boundary of the city in the 18th century. It supplied water for the fountains of the Summer Garden and that's the way the river got it's name.
The bridge is decorated with four different equestrian statues - taming of the horse.
During the siege the statues were buried in the ground but a splinter of a shell hit one of the pedestals.
This is a picture of the Anichkov bridge and the Anichkov palace.
The palace to the left is one of the
oldest on the street. It was built in 1740 to the order of Elizabeth for one of
her favorites - Count Razumovsky, then changed hands many times but belonged to the
Romanov's. Now it belongs to the secondary school children. There are various amateur
societies after school classes which are free of charge.
In the garden to the left there is a monument to Catherine II. These are figures of Catherine's
contemporaries at the feet of the Empress, they are some how distinguished people.
In the background there is the Alexandrinsky Theatre which is the oldest professional theatre of
Russia that dates from 1756. The building was constructed to the design of K. Rossi in 1832, being
one of the architectural masterpieces among theatre houses of the 19th century. The theatre and the
short street, which bears the architect's name which is Rossi, owes part of its beauty to this
architect. There is no monument to Rossi unfortunately. So it is only fair that the street with
the buildings constructed by him bear his name. It is noted that the classical style symmetry
was observed. The length is more than 10 times its width and the width of the street is equal
to its height. Here you can also see the ballet academy Vaganova.
Merchants Yard The entire block to the left is taken by Merchants Yard - "Gos.D.". It's one of the biggest department
stores in the city and it's one of the oldest too. It was built in the middle of the 18th century by
Vallen Delamot. It was a model for other stalls, built at the end of the 18th century in SPb and in other cities Square of Arts.
It is called so because there are 3 theatres and 2 museums right here. The state Philharmonic is the oldest in the country. Its symphony orchestra enjoys world fame.
The building is the former Assembly Hall for Russian nobility. Musical comedy theatre was one of the three theatres, which were opened during the siege.
The next one is the Ethnographical museum whose exhibits illustrate the way of life of the people of
The Russian museum (formerly Michael's palace) was built by Rossi.
It has the Maly Opera and the Ballet Theatre. Now it bears the name of Musorgsky.
The theatre is famous for being the first to stage the works of modern composers.
In the center of the square we now have a monument to Pushkin.
This is the Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan. It was built from 1801 to 1811 by Voronihin.
Its northern wall is decorated with 114 columns. The traditional shape of Russian church is the cross.
The grey corner building to the right is the largest book store in SPb. A number of publishing offices
occupy the upper floors of the building. The building was constructed for the Singer sewing machine company in
the beginning of this century. It was built of stone, metal, and glass and was the first fireproof building in the city.
The Stroganoff palace was built in 1764 Rastrelly in the Russian Baroque style.
The green building, which overlooks both the main street and the river, is the former Count Stroganoff's palace. The palace retains most of its original look.
Stroganoff was the president of the Academy of Fine Arts.
1912. It's the replica of the Palace of the Doges in Venice. A bank was there, now it houses the Russian Airlines agency and a few shops.
The Palace bridge was built in 1916. It is one of the drawbridges, - bridges that are lifted every night.
From this bridge opens a good view of the Admiralty. It was built in the shape of wide Latin
letter U open to the Neva. The buildings and flats here are some of the most expensive ones,
but the owners wanted to live as close to the Winter Palace as possible.